There are times when you make a dish and immediately know it will become a recipe you make all the time. The kind that you can't stop thinking about even though you are already full. The "just one more spoonful before I put it away" type of dish. This (at least for us) is our newest addition to that list.
The broth is spicy. The soup is satisfying, but not heavy. And everything in it is good for you. Hearty but not dumpy. Perfect for an easy mid-week dinner, or quite possibly the new magic cure-all for over imbibing (assumption. not proven).
spicy black bean + quinoa soup
- 6 cups stock ( we used chicken but feel free to use veggie )
- 2 tablespoons salsa verde
- 1-2 tablespoon lime juice tt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt tt
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked
- 1 small, thinly sliced jalapeno, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced grape tomatoes
- 1-2 ripe avocados
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- plain yogurt, optional for garnish
In large pan, combine stock, salsa verde, lime juice, garlic, cumin and portion of jalapeno (we used half because we wanted it spicy. feel free to use as much or as little as you wish). Bring to a simmer. Add quinoa, black beans and green onion. Continue to simmer until heated through. Add salt to taste.
Fill bowls with soup and add tomatoes, avocado, jalapeno, cilantro and yogurt for garnish.